"People Were Afraid to Take Out Their Trash"

Published by Chris Wangler- March 23, 2021.

Ward 6 city councilor Sean Durkee and fellow councilors are thanking the law enforcement agencies that worked together to bring charges against the Waltham man suspected in a string of random unprovoked attacks in November.
Durkee (far right in photo) attended the press conference last week when charges were announced.
On Monday, he presented a resolution at the city council meeting to express his “profound gratitude” to law enforcement.
Extensive investigative work by Waltham Police, DA Marian Ryan, State Police and others linked Clauvens Janvier, 24, to 11 brutal assaults in November that caused widespread fear of going out after dark in Waltham.
“People were brutally attacked from behind at night,” said councilor Durkee, a military veteran and National Guardsman.
Gardencrest, where the attacks started on November 10, is in Durkee’s ward. During meetings with constituents, he said some were in tears over the attacks. “It was a really scary time,” he told the council.
Janvier, a 2015 Waltham High School graduate, is scheduled for arraignment on Wednesday in Waltham District Court. He faces roughly 20 assault and firearms charges.
Nearly all Waltham city councilors signed on to Durkee’s late-file resolution Monday. It was referred to a council committee for further discussion.
Photo (left to right): Waltham Police Captain Jeff Rodley, Acting Chief Kevin O’Connell, Middlesex DA Marian Ryan, Detective Tom Bryant, Det. Sgt. Stephen McCarthy, Det. Lt. Joseph Brooks, Mayor Jeannette McCarthy and Ward 6 Councilor Sean Durkee.