Smoking Trash Mess at The Fitch

Published by Chris Wangler- January 20, 2021.

On Wednesday morning, a smoking trash truck on Floyd Street was diverted to the parking of the Fitch School so Waltham Fire could empty it and wet down the trash inside.
During the pandemic, there has been an uptick in trash truck fires. As residents declutter, they sometimes toss out hazardous materials that can ignite.
The friction from crushing in a trash truck can spark fires from a variety of sources, including pool chemicals, paint thinner, lighter fluid, propane tanks and aerosol cans.
Improperly disposed coals, ashes or cigarette butts can also ignite inside a trash truck.
Fire safety officials encourage residents to dispose of all these materials safely.
Photo: Peter Lobo